Woodstock Baptist Church Logo

Search results are provided by Google.

WBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Woodstock Baptist Church

Church History

The earliest recording of Baptists meeting in Woodstock was in 1794 when several Woodstock families invited the Rev James Hinton the minister of New Road Baptist Church in Oxford to lead worship in a house opposite the Marlborough Arms Hotel.

Somehow 50 adults and children squeezed into the house but as the service got under way a mob broke in and attacked the worshippers who were forced to flee. Several people including a deacon who had accompanied Mr Hinton were seriously injured .

Some 25 years later in 1819 a further attempt to establish a Baptist witness was more successful and the church was formally established by a Deed of Trust in 1825. Today some 200 years later Baptists still worship and witness within the community of Woodstock.